By Dom Nozzi
November 11, 2019
The following are the best things I have ever done in my life. They are in no particular order of importance.
- Met and am now in a relationship with Maggie Waddoups.
- Obtained a Master’s Degree in Town Planning.
- Was born with (or developed) a lifelong love of reading books.
- Discarded all belief in any god-based religion. I have considered myself an atheist since I was 21 years old.
- Lost my sexual virginity.
- Learned about the merits of walkable urbanism and traditional architectural design.
- Due to how my parents raised me, I developed a motivation to move to a city I love, unlike many of my friends, who have stayed in the region they grew up in.
- Learned to ski and scuba dive and skydive and paraglide.
- Learned to enjoy giving public speeches.
- Published three books and thousands of blogs, newspaper and magazine letters to the editor, and newspaper and magazine guest opinions.
- Adopted a low-carb, high-fat diet.
- Was born with (or developed) a lifelong love of physical exercise.
- Ran the New York City Marathon.
- Moved to Boulder Colorado.
- Founded and chair the Mapleton Hill PorchFest in Boulder Colorado.
- Co-organizing and performing in the “Peterson Jam” air-guitar rock concerts at the Northern Arizona University campus while a student there.
- Scoring on a 56-yard touchdown reception in a Penfield High School football game against Fairport (the third ranked team in the state of New York at that time).
- Being hired to be an associate planner for the City of Gainesville, Florida at the age of 26.
- Dancing at a “rave” dance at a downtown Gainesville, Florida nightclub.
- Purchasing a bungalow historic house built in 1935 in Gainesville, and soon after paying off the mortgage.
- Visiting a nudist resort in Lutz, Florida at the age of 35.
- Whitewater rafting the Gauley River in West Virginia.
- Reading Home From Nowhere, and befriending the author — James Howard Kunstler.
- Having lunch with Andres Duany at Seaside, Florida at the age of 28.
- Making several trips to Europe – particularly Italy, Spain, Germany, and The Netherlands.