by Dom Nozzi
The rivers found on this list are the best-ever rivers that I have ever had the pleasure to kayak or canoe in Florida. I have paddled nearly all named, navigable waters in Florida, so I have a fairly thorough awareness of what Florida has to offer the paddler.
Note that for some rivers, I will not be providing directions to the river, as I would not like to see any of the more special, unspoiled rivers to suffer from abuse or over-use.
Criteria for this ranking:
• The river is relatively undeveloped, quiet, and remote. The “Real Florida” experience.
• The river is relatively narrow and tree-canopied.
• The river requires some degree of technical paddling or portaging or duck-under-logs skill.
• The waters of the river are relatively clean, clear, and home to an abundant population of fish, alligators and birds (and sometimes monkeys!). A sandy white bottom is a plus.
• Sandbars are occasionally found along the river banks, allowing for tent camping by a paddler.
• The river allows one to paddle one-way (a put-in and take-out point) so that paddling back the way one came is not necessary.
Dom’s Ranking of Florida’s Top 10 Paddles
- Econfina River (FL panhandle)
- Ichetucknee River
- Juniper Springs Run (Ocala National Forest)
- Waccasassa River
- Loxahatchee River
- Wekiva River
- Deep Creek (a tributary of the Suwannee River)
- Alexander Springs Run (Ocala National Forest)
- Econlockhatchee River (near Orlando)
- Black Creek (near Jacksonville)
- Suwannee River
- Peace River
- Steinhatchee River
I urge you to email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) or leave a comment if you have a suggested addition or subtraction from this list. Or if you have any other thoughts about this list.
Each list in this blog contains my own personal opinions based on my personal experiences. I acknowledge that there may be a need to add or subtract from these lists (or to create a new subject list), and I welcome such suggestions. The lists are not ordered from higher to lower quality (although I DO consider the Econfina to be the best of all Florida rivers to paddle). Each list is a work in progress.
My book, The Car is the Enemy of the City (WalkableStreets, 2010), can be purchased here: http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/the-car-is-the-enemy-of-the-city/10905607
My book, Road to Ruin, can be purchased here:
My Adventures blog
My Best-Ever Lists blog
Run for Your Life! Dom’s Dangerous Opinions blog
My Town & Transportation Planning website
My Plan B blog
My Facebook profile
My YouTube video library
My Picasa Photo library
My Author spotlight